Oasis Of Two Scimitars

A Gorean RP In The Tahari

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Alarm Bars

Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Alarm Bars   Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:46 pm

Description of alarm bars
Alarm bars hang so that when struck they produce a loud ringing sound
Another guardsman stopped ringing the alarm bar. It hung from a projection on a pole, the pole fixed upright on the roof of a nearby warehouse.
Explorers

Struck with a great hammer
Then, at that very instant from atop the frame building housing the office of the wharf master the alarm bar began to ring. I saw a single man on the roof, striking it with a great hammer. It rang again, and again.
Guardsman

Also struck with a great hammer
The alarm bar, struck by its great hammer, began to ring madly.
Tribesman

This one struck with a mallet
I seized the mallet of an alarm bar which hung in the hail, and began to pound it madly. It served to drown out the noise.
Beasts

Locations of alarm bars
Mounted on a pole on the roof of a warehouse (this in Port Kar)
Another guardsman stopped ringing the alarm bar. It hung from a projection on a pole, the pole fixed upright on the roof of a nearby warehouse.
Explorers

Mounted on the roof of the office of the wharf master (this in Victoria)
Then, at that very instant from atop the frame building housing the office of the wharf master the alarm bar began to ring. I saw a single man on the roof, striking it with a great hammer. It rang again, and again.
Guardsman

Bars ringing from wharves and from interior of the city (pretty much all over, this scene in Schendi)
I had then, wrapped in the discarded aba of Kunguni, made my way through the streets to the Cove of Schendi. Outside, from the wharves and from the interior of the city, I could hear the ringing of alarm bars. “Plague!” men were crying in the streets.
“Are you not ill, Master?” asked Sasi.
“I do not think so,” I said.
Explorers

Alarm bars located (and ringing) in various parts of the city (this in Brundisium)
I could still hear the shouting in the distance. Too, from outside the palace, from the prison area, and from various parts of the city, I could hear the ringing of alarm bars.
Players

Inside great houses (vast holdings), several alarm bars available to announce trouble to the hundreds of men living there.
"I ask only your word, Captain," said Samos.
"It seems I have little choice," I said.
"Forgive me, Captain," said Samos.
I turned and seized the crossed spears of the guards, twisting and pulling them toward me, flinging them, they surprised, not swiftly enough releasing the weapons, to the tiles.
"Stop!" cried Samos.
I slipped through the door and, with one of the spears, which I had retained, sliding the shaft through the great handles, closed the door. Instantly they were pounding on it. I seized the mallet of an alarm bar which hung in the hall, and began to pound it madly. It served to drown out the noise. Men's feet began to pound in the halls; I heard the clank of weapons. I hurried down the hall and struck another alarm bar.
A guardsman appeared. "There!" I cried. "In the great hall! Hurry!"
Four more guards appeared.
"Come!" cried the first guard.
They ran down the hall.
Beasts

Inside an insulae for announcing emergencies or fire
The pool of light above us seemed to shake with laughter.
I drew my blade and put it to the bowl of the lamp, on its small shelf in the hall. With a tiny movement I could tip it to the floor.
“Be careful there,” said the fellow. His concern was not without reason. Such accidents, usually occurring in the rooms, often resulted in the destruction of an insula. Many folks who lived regularly in insulae had had the experience of hastily departing from their building in the middle of the night. There was also the danger that such fires could spread. Sometimes entire blocks, and even districts, are wiped out by such fires.
“This,” I said, indicating a cord and bar to one side, “is undoubtedly the alarm bar, to be rung in the case of emergency or fire.”
“Yes?” said the voice from the pool of light.
“I am pleased to see it,” I said. “This will quite possibly save me burning down the building.”

Magicians

Purposes of alarm bars
To announce that pirates at the docks are looting
I saw several of the pirates with bottles of paga, swilling from them, as they strutted about, sometimes pausing to cut into a bale of goods or overturn a barrel kicking it open, permitting its contents to run out over the boards. The alarm bar continued to ring futilely. The pirates made no effort to stop the desperate fellow who meaninglessly continued to strike it.
"We outnumber them 50 to 1," I said. "Let me rush upon them. Let us stop them!" "They are Masters in Victoria," said a man, "Do nothing rash."
Rogue

After a man has been poisoned to have symptoms that appear to be the plague, the alarm rings through the city, warning of plague.
I had left the paga tavern by a rear door and then swung myself up to a low roof, and then climbed to a higher one. I had made my way over several roofs until I had found a convenient and lonely place to descend. I had then, wrapped in the discarded aba of Kunguni, made my way through the streets to the Cove of Schendi. Outside, from the wharves and from the interior of the city, I could hear the ringing of alarm bars. “Plague!” men were crying in the streets.
“Are you not ill, Master?” asked Sasi.
“I do not think so,” I said.
Explorers

To announce the work slaves escaping
"He will give the alarm," said the chief guard. "You are finished. Return to me my weapons and place yourselves again in chains. I will petition that your lives be spared."
"Well, Lads," said I, "let us now to work with a good heart. I do not think we will have a great deal of time to spare."
With a will, then, they set themselves to the opening of the wall.
"You are insane!" said the chief guard. "You will all be trampled."
As soon as one log was tortured out of the earth and lifted away Imnak slipped through the opening, out among the tabuk.
"He at least will escape," said one of the men.
"He will be killed out there," said another.
I was disappointed that Imnak had fled. I had thought him made of sterner stuff.
"Quickly, Lads," I said. "Quickly!"
Another log was pulled out of the earth, levered up by bars and, by many hands, heaved to the side.
We could hear the alarm bar ringing now. Its sound carried clearly in the clear, cold air north of Torvaldsland.
"Quickly, Lads!" I encouraged them.
"You, too," I said, gesturing to the three guards who were conscious. "Work well and I may spare your lives."
Angrily, then, they, too, set themselves to the work of drawing logs out of that cruel turf.
Suddenly a tabuk, better than eleven hands at the shoulder, thrust through the opening, buffeting men aside.
"Hurry!" I said. "Back to work!"
"We will be killed!" cried the chief guard. "You do not know these beasts!"
"Guards are coming," moaned a man.
Hurrying toward us we could now see some forty or fifty guardsmen, weapons at the ready.
Beasts

To announce the escape of prisoners
Men ran here and there. The fire of white smoke had been lit near the shield pole, though it was not yet noon. I heard an alarm bar ringing. On the height of the shield pole there was hoisted a scarlet disk.
"Come," said Strabo, making his way through the crowds, holding my arm.
"Escape!" I heard.
"They have escaped!" cried a man.
"They have escaped!" cried another man.
Slave Girl

To announce the kasbah being swarmed by riders
Riders streamed toward the kasbah. I saw the white burnoose of Hassan, swelling behind him, in their lead.
In a moment someone on the walls had seen the riders. There were shouts. The alarm bar, struck by its great hammer, began to ring madly. Men began to appear in the yard below. Men swarmed to the walls. But to their horror riders were already within the yard, fighting with defenders. Men leaped from their kaiila, climbing, scimitars flashing, up the narrow stairs, toward the walls. The enemy was within. The enemy was behind them. Riders streamed in through the gate, and, too, men afoot, running over the sand. The north gate had fallen. The north tower was theirs. More men entered, flooding within the walls of the kasbah. Defenders rushed forth. Everywhere there was swordplay, the ringing of steel, on bucklers.
Tribesmen

Again, alarm bars ring because prisoners have escaped
“Wait!” cried a man. “I hear alarm bars.”
He was right. Faintly now, but clearly, now that there was a brief silence in the hall, one could hear the ringing of alarm bars.
“What is wrong?” said Belnar. “What is going on?”
AT that moment a soldier hurriedly, distraught, entered the room. “There has been an escape from the prison!” he cried. “Gatch has been slain. The cells have been emptied. Prisoners have poured into the streets.”
Players

To announce a fire
“There is an alarm bar, as well,” I said.
“Look there!” said Marcus.
“I see it,” I said.
The sky was red in the east. It was a kind of radiance, flickering and pulsing.
“That is not the dawn,” said Marcus grimly.
“I think we should return to our quarters,” I said.
Some men ran past us now, towards the east, toward the light. We could hear more than one alarm bar now.
“Surely the curfew is still in effect,” said Marcus.
“It will be hard to enforce now,” I said.
“What is going on?” I called to a fellow hurrying past us, carrying a lantern.
“Have you not heard?” he asked. “It is the house of records. It is afire!”
“Perhaps we should have gone to a tavern,” said Marcus.
Magicians

Alarm bar rings through the city in victory
The waters off the Victoria wharves seemed crowded, but many of the ships were aflame.
The alarm bar was ringing in Victoria, but now in token of victory. There were crowds upon the concourse. Garlanded, white-clad maidens could be seen. At the front edge of the concourse, near the wharves, pirates, in rows, stripped and bound, lay on their bellies. Maidens cast flowers upon them, and some of these maidens, from their own heads, placed garlands upon the brows of the victors.
Guardsman

Effects of ringing alarm bars
Men head toward the sound of the alarm
I rose to my feet, and, shouldering my sea bag, whistling, continued on toward the pier of the Red Urt, where Ulafi’s ship, the Palms of Schendi, was moored.
I soon hurried my steps, for an alarm bar had begun to ring.
I heard steps running behind me, too, and I turned about. A black seaman ran past me, he, too, heading toward the wharves. I followed him toward the pier of the Red Urt.
Explorers

Guards come running
I seized the mallet of an alarm bar which hung in the hail, and began to pound it madly. It served to drown out the noise. Men's feet began to pound in the halls; I heard the clank of weapons. I hurried down the hall and struck another alarm bar.
A guardsman appeared. "There!" I cried. "In the great hall! Hurry!"
Four more guards appeared.
"Come!" cried the first guard.
They ran down the hall.
Other guardsmen appeared.
"To the hall!" I cried.
They fled past me.
Beasts

Guardsmen come running
We could hear the alarm bar ringing now. Its sound carried clearly in the clear, cold air north of Torvaldsland.
"Quickly, Lads!" I encouraged them.
"You, too," I said, gesturing to the three guards who were conscious. "Work well and I may spare your lives."
Angrily, then, they, too, set themselves to the work of drawing logs out of that cruel turf.
Suddenly a tabuk, better than eleven hands at the shoulder, thrust through the opening, buffeting men aside.
"Hurry!" I said. "Back to work!"
"We will be killed!" cried the chief guard. "You do not know these beasts!"
"Guards are coming," moaned a man.
Hurrying toward us we could now see some forty or fifty guardsmen, weapons at the ready.
Beasts

Hundreds of men armed with chains, shovels, swords, axes and boat hooks emerge from buildings at the signal
"Then, Lads," cried Policrates, "take Victoria! She is yours!"
Then, at that very instant from atop the frame building housing the office of the wharf master the alarm bar began to ring. I saw a single man on the roof, striking it with a great hammer. It rang again, and again. The pirates turned, startled, puzzled, to regard the source of the sound.
Almost at that very moment, from the seemingly deserted buildings of Victoria, running and screaming, charging, brandishing an incredible assortment of chains, tools and weapons, there issued hundreds of the outraged citizens of Victoria. Archers sprang into view on the rooftops. Showers of arrows sped like dark, linear had over the heads of the charging citizens, striking into the startled, suddenly reeling, disordered crowds of pirates at the foot of the concourse. But a moment later the charging citizens, like thundering, horned kailiauk, like uncontrolled, maddened, stampeding bosk, pikes and spears leveled, chains flailing, swords flashing, boat hooks, and axes and shovels upraised, struck the dumbfounded, disarrayed throngs of astonished buccaneers.
A cheer rose spontaneously from my throat.
"Fight!" I heard Policrates scream. "Fight!"
Guardsman

Defenders rush forth
Riders streamed toward the kasbah. I saw the white burnoose of Hassan, swelling behind him, in their lead.
In a moment someone on the walls had seen the riders. There were shouts. The alarm bar, struck by its great hammer, began to ring madly. Men began to appear in the yard below. Men swarmed to the walls. But to their horror riders were already within the yard, fighting with defenders. Men leaped from their kaiila, climbing, scimitars flashing, up the narrow stairs, toward the walls. The enemy was within. The enemy was behind them. Riders streamed in through the gate, and, too, men afoot, running over the sand. The north gate had fallen. The north tower was theirs. More men entered, flooding within the walls of the kasbah. Defenders rushed forth. Everywhere there was swordplay, the ringing of steel, on bucklers.
Tribesmen

In a matter of Ihn, upon the sounding of the alarm bar, tarnsmen are in the saddle.
He had glanced to our right, to the tarns on their perches. They were saddled, and their reins were upon them. Tbey were ready for investigatory excursions or, if the randomly selected schedules were appropriate, for routine patrols. The left foot of each tarn, by a spring clasp, which could be opened by band, and a chain, was fastened to the perch. The birds, thus, for most practical purposes, could be brought to flight almost immediately. Their riders, or tarnsmen, were not in the immediate vicinity, but were, as is common, quite close, in this case in a guard station at the foot of the wall. In a matter of Ihn, given a command or the sounding of an alarm bar, they could be in the saddle.
Kajira

Or, as in this scene, men do not respond
"Sandals!" I suddenly snapped.
A Gorean command need not be repeated. Peggy startled wild-eyed, rose to her knees and seized my sandals. I stood up bending over in the low alcove. I pulled on my tunic. She thrust the sandals to her lips, kissing them. "Master?" she asked. She placed the sandals on my feet, thonging them tightly. I buckled my belt, with its dependent pouch. I slung the sword belt with its attached scabbard with its sheathed steel over my left shoulder. "Master?" asked Peggy.
"Can you not hear it?" I asked.
She finished tying my sandals. As she knotted each, she kissed the know and then when fished with both, put her head to my feet in a graceful gesture of submission. Tying his sandals, and often thusly, is a small, homely service often performed by the slave girl for her Master. Then she looked up at me, puzzled.
"Now," I said, "cannot you hear it?"
"The conversation has stopped on the floor of the tavern, " she said frightened. "It is quiet there." "Listen," I said. "I hear it!" she said. "What is it?"
"It is an alarm bar, I said. "It is coming from the wharves," I said. "What does it mean?" she asked. I began to unbuckle the leather curtains of the alcove swiftly. "I do not know," I said. "Where are you going," she asked. "To the wharves," I said.
"Do not go!" she said. I threw back the curtains. I looked back at her. She knelt frightened on the furs the chain on her neck. "Do not go," she begged. I turned about and made my way rapidly through the tables. I heard her sob and jerk at the chain in frustration but if of course held her perfectly. The men among whom I strode had not risen to their feet. None met my eyes. None volunteered to accompany me. "Do not go," advised Tasdron. I did not answer him, but left the tavern and then, running, made my way toward the wharves.
Rogue

Also, in this scene, the men hear an alarm bar from the other side of the camp, and discuss it, but do not go running
"Your face is smeared with lipstick," said a man, "and you stink of slaves and paga."
"I cannot explain that," said a fellow, as though puzzle "for all night I have rested comfortably in the tent of cargo riders."
"The company will not be pleased," said a fellow. "if you slept a wink last night I am a purple urt."
"It is lucky for you then," said the newcomer, concerned "that indeed I neglected to slumber."
"Are you in a condition to fly?," asked a man.
"I shall sleep in the saddle," said the man.
"You have a long flight, of several stages," said a man.
"I shall be well rested then by the time of my arrival in Ar," said the newcomer.
"I am sure the paga slaves will be pleased," said a man "all several hundred of them."
"Do not neglect to fasten your safety strap," said a man.
"I shall do so, unless perhaps I chance to fall asleep first” the newcomer assured the fellow.
"What is that sound?" asked a man.
"It sounds like an alarm bar, back in the south part of camp," said a man.
"I wonder what is wrong," said another. "Will I see Bemus in Ar, or Torquatus?" asked the newcomer.
'No, luckily for the paga slaves," said a man.
"It is an alarm bar," said a man, "clearly."
"I hear another, too, now," said a man.
"I wonder what is going on," said the newcomer.
"You will rendezvous with us in ten days, on the south bank of the Issus," said a man. "You will be bringing another shipment of Ka-la-na for the officers."
"I wonder what is going on," said the newcomer.
"You are late," said a man, with a rustle of papers.
"I am never late," said the newcomer. "It is only that sometimes it takes me longer to be on time than others."
"I bear other alarm bars, too, now," said a man.
"Do you think the camp is under attack?" asked a man.
"No," said a man.
"It is probably a fire," said a man.
"I do not see any smoke," said a man.
"Perhaps Lady Sheila has escaped," suggested a fellow, lightly.
This suggestion was greeted with raucous laughter. The little vulo, doubtless, was still safe in her cage.
It is probably a fight between companies or platoons," said a man, "probably over gambling or a slave."
"I think I will go see," said the newcomer.
"Into the saddle!" said a man.
"But a fight!" said the newcomer. "Venaticus," cautioned the man.
"Very well," he said.
"It must be important," said a man. "Hear the alarm bars low."
"If it were only a fight, there would not be that many alarm bars, said a man. "Indeed, there probably would not be any. It would not be necessary to alarm the whole camp over an incident of that sort."
"It is probably a drill," said a man.
"That is it," said another. "It must be a drill."

Kajira

Secret alarm, silent alarm
Interestingly, though no detail is given, there is the mention of secret silent alarms which would send guardsmen searching for this free woman
“I will buy my freedom!” she said. “I will give you a thousand pieces of gold! Two thousand! Ten thousand! Name your price!”
“But you have nothing,” he said. “No more than a kaiila, or sleen.”
“Contact Seremides!” she said. “Contact Myron, polemarkos of Temos! They will arrange my ransom.”
“You will never get me out of the city!” she said, suddenly, to Marcus.
“Do you really think it would be difficult,” he asked her, “gagged, hooded, perhaps in a slave sack?”
“Already the alarm may be out for me!” she said to him.
“I have not heard the alarm bars,” he said.
“Do not be naïve,” she said. “Even now, a secret alarm, a silent alarm, may be out. Even now guardsmen may be turning Ar upside down, looking for me.”
“If you have planned your putative dalliance as well as you would have led us to believe,” he said, “I doubt that you have even been missed. Indeed, perhaps you will not be missed until morning!”
Magicians

Back to top Go down

Alarm Bars
Page 1 of 1